Pricing & Billing Policies for your Kareo Account
Subscription Levels & Fees
New Customer Subscription Plans: The following subscription services and fees apply to Kareo customers who activated their account on or after February 20, 2013.
|EHR (Stand alone EHR)||Suite (EHR + PM)||Flex (EHR+PM)||Open (PM Only)|
|Per Normal Provider monthly fee - $0||Per Normal Provider monthly fee - $299||Per Normal Provider monthly fee - $149||Per Normal Provider monthly fee - $199|
|Patient list & messaging dashboard||Includes all features of EHR||Includes all features of EHR||Kareo EHR superbill integration not available|
|Unlimited e-prescriptions & renewals||Unlimited print-your-own claims||Unlimited print-your-own claims||Unlimited print-your-own claims|
|Electronic lab order and results connectivity included||Unlimited electronic claims||50 free electronic claims per month per provider. $0.99/per claim for every claim thereafter||Unlimited electronic claims|
|Documentation tools and template library included||Unlimited electronic remittance||Unlimited electronic remittance||Unlimited electronic remittance|
|Alerts and health guidelines included||Unlimited phone, email, and chat support||Unlimited phone, email, and chat support||Unlimited phone, email, and chat support|
|Patient portal included||Implementation & training included||Implementation & training included||Implementation & training included|
|Patient education library included||Documents & faxing included||Documents & faxing included||Documents & faxing included|
|iPad app included||Code scrubbing included||Code scrubbing included||Code scrubbing included|
|Kareo EHR data integration included||Integration API included||Integration API included|
|Scheduler & encounter forms included||Scheduler & encounter forms included||Scheduler & encounter forms included|
|Insurance eligibility checks included||Insurance eligibility checks included||Insurance eligibility checks included|
|Assisted enrollment service included||Assisted enrollment service included||Assisted enrollment service included|
|Patient Payment Services monthly fee included. Per transaction fees are additional||Patient Payment Services Optional add-on||Patient Payment Services Optional add-on|
|Print-your-own patient statements included. Print & mail services are optional add-on||Print-your-own patient statements included. Print & mail services are optional add-on||Print-your-own patient statements included. Print & mail services are optional add-on|
|Email and automated phone reminders included||Email and automated phone reminders included||Automated phone reminders are optional add-on|
For Kareo Billing Services customers, the features of Suite are included in the service fees. Service fees range from 4% - 8% based upon volume and specialty.
Existing Customer Subscription Plans: The following subscription services and fees apply to Kareo customers who activated their account before February 20, 2013.
|All fees per Normal Provider per month||$69||$149||$199||$299|
|Email & chat support||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Implementation & training||Included||Included||Included||Included|
|Documents & faxing||Not included||Included||Included||Included|
|Code scrubbing||Not included||Included||Included||Included|
|Integration API||Not included||Included||Included||Included|
|Scheduler & encounter forms||Not included||Not included||Included||Included|
|Insurance eligibility checks||Not included||Not included||Included||Included|
|Assisted enrollment service||Optional add-on||Optional add-on||Optional add-on||Included|
|Phone support||Optional add-on||Optional add-on||Optional add-on||Included|
Monthly Subscription Fees
(use and access)
|Customer Support Fees||
- Electronic Clearinghouse Fees
- Patient Statement Mailing fees
- Excess Data Storage fees
- Data Import Fees
- Miscellaneous Fees
- Due in Advance
- Pro-Rated in Arrears (for new Providers added in a month)
|- Due in Advance||- Due in Arrears||- Due in Advance|
- Minimum Charge: There is a minimum monthly charge equal to 1 Provider based on the subscription level selected during signup.
- Adding or Removing Providers. New (activated) Providers will be charged on a pro-rata monthly basis, but removed (deactivated) Providers are charged for the last full month in advance. All Providers within a Practice will be billed at the subscription level of the practice.
- Provider means any provider of billable medical services to patients whom is an employee, customer, or has an employment, contractor, or agent relationship with a Customer, for which the Service organizes information and provides medical billing and practice management.
- Normal Provider means an individual Provider that is authorized to directly bill Medicare or commercial insurance companies for professional healthcare services rendered to patients, and holds a degree of DC, DCh, DchO, DDS, DO, DMD, DPM, MD, ND, NMD, OD, PhD, PsyD.
- Non-Physician Provider means any individual Provider other than a Normal Provider. This includes, but is not limited to, acupuncturists, audiologists, nurse practitioners, massage therapists, mid-wives, occupational therapists, physician assistants, physical therapists, respiratory therapists, registered dieticians, or social workers.
- Bundled Provider means an individual Provider included in an account at no additional charge for temporary or limited access to Kareo services. Bundled Providers may not use Kareo to submit claims or check eligibility. Bundled Providers using the claims or eligibility features may be charged a subscription fee.
- Facility Provider means an organization, facility, or lab that is authorized to directly bill Medicare or commercial insurance companies for institutional healthcare services rendered to patients.
Discounts & Other Terms
- Account Changes: Kareo bills on a calendar month basis. Changes must be made by the last day of each month in order for the changes to be reflected on your next month’s invoice.
- Refunds/Credits: Kareo does not refund subscription fees for partial months upon a deactivation of a Provider or account cancellation.
- Practices: Must have at least one (active) Provider within a Practice for the Practice to remain active.
- Non-Physician Provider Discount: If there are at least 2 active Providers associated with an account, then the discount is equal to 50% of the normal subscription fee for any Non-Physician Provider. You must email firstname.lastname@example.org to request the discount immediately upon adding the Provider, but no later than the last day of the month in which the Non-Physician Provider was added. The discount is not available to accounts with only 1 active Provider.
- Excess Claims by Facility Provider: Kareo may modify the monthly fee after 30 days notice if Customer exceeds 500 claims per month for any Facility Provider.
Customer Support Plans & Fees
Phone Support Plan
- Phone support includes unlimited access to customer support by email, live chat and phone. $199 per month for entire account.
Bundled Support Plans
Basic, Plus and Complete subscription levels include Email and Chat Support.
Assisted enrollment service
- Assisted enrollment services include clearinghouse sign-up and setup of electronic services with insurance companies.
- Pricing: $299 one-time per provider fee. Service is also included in the Max plan.
- Unlimited number of payers on your initial enrollment. Subsequent payers are not included.
- Available for all Kareo clearinghouse partners
Electronic Clearinghouse Services & Fees
Electronic Claims Submission (ANSI 837)
- Electronic claims submission service includes sending electronic claims in the ANSI 837 format to Kareo's Clearinghouse Partners.
- $0.49 per electronic claim for Basic subscription level. No charge for Plus, Complete and Max subscription levels or the new Suite, and Open plans beginning on February 20, 2013.
- $0.99 per electronic claim for Flex plan subscription beginning after the first 50 claims are sent per month.
Electronic Remittance Advice (ANSI 835)
- Electronic remittance advice service includes receiving electronic remittance advice messages from Kareo’s Clearinghouse Partners in the ANSI 835 format.
- No charge for Basic, Plus, Complete and Max subscription levels or the new Suite, Open and Flex plans beginning on February 20, 2013.
Electronic Real-Time Insurance Eligibility Services (ANSI 270/271)
- Electronic real-time insurance eligibility services include performing electronic verification of insurance benefits from Kareo’s Clearinghouse Partners in the ANSI 270/271 format.
- No charge for Complete and Max subscription levels. Not available with the Basic or Plus subscription levels or the new Suite, Open and Flex plans beginning on February 20, 2013.
- Termination of Remittance Services: In the event that Customer desires to discontinue electronic remittance services, then Customer must contact the insurance companies directly to request termination.
Paper Claims Mailing Services:
- Sending batches of paper claims to Kareo’s clearinghouse firm for printing and mailing (postage is included).
- $0.39 per paper claim printed and mailed.
- No fee for printing of paper claims to your own printer from Kareo.
Patient Payment Services
- Monthly Fee: $29.99 per practice per month plus Payment Card Transaction Fees and Electronic Statements Fees described below.
Payment Card Transaction Fees
- Processing debit, credit and other card payments through a Kareo-affiliated service, powered by InstaMed. InstaMed is registered with Visa and MasterCard.
- Payment processing replaces your existing merchant account and all funds (net of credit card transaction fees) are deposited into your existing bank account.
- Monthly Fee: $29.99 per practice per month. This fee is included in the Suite plan subscription level.
- Front Office Payments: Fees for transactions processed while the patient is in the office with the payment card:
- Visa/MC Offline Debit: 1.49%
- Visa/MC/Discover Qualified Card: 1.82%
- Visa/MC/Discover Rewards Card: 2.09%
- Visa/MC/Discover Mid Qualified Card: 2.59%
- Visa/MC/Discover Non-Qualified Card: 3.49%
- American Express: Contact Kareo for pricing (American Express does not allow publishing pricing information on our website)
- Back Office Payments: Fees for transactions processed without the payment card present (e.g. payments made over the phone or by mail):
- Visa/MC Offline Debit: 2.29%
- Visa/MC/Discover Qualified Card: 2.49%
- Visa/MC/Discover Non-Qualified Card: 3.59%
- American Express
- Electronic Authorization: $0.25 per authorization
- Hardware: $79.00 for USB card reader
- Electronically send patient statement notifications through a Kareo-affiliated service, powered by InstaMed.
- Electronic Statement Fee: $0.25 per statement.
Electronic statement fee will be waived for statements meeting all the criteria below:
- the electronic patient statement was distributed; and
- a threshold (ie. 5 days, 10 days, 15 days) is set to trigger print and mail statements; and
- print and mail statements are issued through Kareo’s Patient Statement Mailing Services and applicable fees are applied (See Patient Statement Mailing Service Fees).
Patient Statement Mailing Service Fees
- Sending batches of patient statements to Kareo-affiliated processor for printing and mailing (postage is included).
- First page: $0.71/statement.
- Additional pages: $0.12/page
- Undeliverable Mail: Statements rejected by the USPS as undeliverable are charged at the normal rate. A report with each reject and an explanation of the error will be provided so that address can be updated for future mailings.
- No fee for printing of patient statements to your own printer from Kareo.
Excess Data Storage Fees
- Monthly Allowance: Each Practice is entitled to a monthly allowance of additional storage space each month in an amount of 100MB times the number of (active) Providers within the Practice.
- Unused Allowance: Unused allowance in any given month cannot be carried forward. If there is more than one Practice in an account, the unused allowance for any Practice may not be applied to any other Practice.
- Excess Data Storage Fees: $15.00 per 100MB in additional storage space in a month.
Data Import & Migration Fees
Standard Patient Demographics Import
- Importing up to up to 250,000 patient data records.May include appointments, patients, insurance lists and referring physician lists.
- Source data must be provided in a non-proprietary Microsoft Excel (.XLS) or Comma Separated Values (.CSV) format.
- $1,500 per practice
Standard Fee Schedule Import
- Importing up to up to 250,000 fee schedule data records.
- May include fee schedules for an insurance contract.
- Source data must be provided in a non-proprietary Microsoft Excel (.XLS) or Comma Separated Values (.CSV) format.
- $499 per fee schedule
Custom Data Import
- Importing more than 250,000 patient data records.
- May include additional record types not included in the Standard Data Import.
- Source data in a format other than Microsoft Excel (.XLS) or Comma Separated Values (.CSV) format.
- $150.00 per hour/3 hour minimum
- Moving practice data from a multi-practice account (e.g. a billing company) into a new customer account.
- May include all of the data within the practice, including but not limited to, patients, appointments, encounters, claims, payments, documents, and all settings.
- Permission: Requires written permission from the company administrator whose account the data originates.
- $499 per practice
- Initial Setup: $1,000
- Changes: $500