Thank you to everyone who voted on our blog and Facebook for the April Medical Billing Tip of the Month. The winner of our Medical Billing Tip of the Month contest this month is…
ERA Tracking for the Payment Method Code of “Check”
We receive ERAs from the carrier with the payment method code “Check.” We need to track this type of ERA to confirm the check has been sent to the provider’s correct address and to wait until the check was cashed by the provider. Here are the steps we follow to do this:
- We create a category in Kareo called “Insurance Pending Check.”
- While auto posting payments from Kareo, we select the above category to track this type of ERA. After we have received the EOB from the provider office, we need to confirm with the provider whether this payment has been cashed by the provider; after that we need to change it into the correct category.
- Once monthly, we run a report in Kareo called the “Payment Detail” report to see if there are any labeled “Insurance Pending Check” or go to the “Find Payment”(F10) screen and find the category of “Insurance Pending Check.” Then we will contact the carrier or provider about the status of the check.
- If the provider did not receive the check or it was sent to the incorrect “pay to” address, we contact the carrier to reissue the new check and void the previous check.
- This process insures you will avoid missing checks.
Las Vegas, NV
Thank you to all who entered; please be sure to submit your Medical Billing Tip of the Month to Marketing@Kareo.com by Friday, April 20, for inclusion in the next round of judging. We’ll post the top three tips on our Facebook page for your vote! You will win a $250 American Express gift card if your tip is chosen. Good luck!