5010 in Action
Kareo is 5010 deployed
Despite major changes in the healthcare industry, we continue our pledge to be the most user-friendly, easy-to-buy, and easy-to-setup medical billing solution for your practice, even with the 5010 transition and the not-too-distant ICD-10 change.
What’s the current status with 5010?
We are all deep in the journey toward complete 5010 compliance and enforcement. The items below chart the progress we have made.
- 5010 compliance date has passed (January 1, 2012)
- Industry at-large was not ready for the transition
- Everyone was impacted and experienced a fair share of denied claims due to 5010 circumstances
- Many medical practices, but not all, have changed their processes to accommodate 5010 information
- Some payers are still testing 5010 with claims clearinghouses
- Enforcement of 5010 has been delayed until June 30, 2012
- ICD-10 slated for October 2013 has been delayed
What have been the biggest challenges thus far for medical practices?
Though many hurdles have been overcome, all parties who touch a medical claim have felt the impact of this transition. The biggest challenges encountered for medical practices have involved a few main areas:
- Claim rejections. The requirements for handling new zip code formats and changing from PO Box address to street addresses caused rejections on claims submission and delays for remittance.
- Enrollment delays. New enrollments with payers and clearinghouses were delayed awaiting 5010 compatibility.
- Getting answers. Payers, clearinghouses, and software companies (including Kareo) were receiving record customer inquiries and with them multi-faceted questions for which instant answers were the exception rather than the rule.
What’s the status now for 5010?
We can’t speak for the entire industry, but Kareo is sending 100% of claims transactions in 5010 format to our clearinghouse partners. Together, we and our customers have gone from 5010 “ready” to 5010 “in action” daily. That’s great news! We will continue to closely monitor all electronic transactions and walk step-by-step with our customers as we approach the June 30, 2012 enforcement deadline.
Where can I learn more about 5010?
There is no shortage of 5010 resources! But, we’ve consolidated several for you through the following resources:
- Kareo Customer Checklist: Kareo 5010 Compliance Checklist
- Latest Kareo 5010 Blog: New Release: Introducing the Information Panel and More 5010 Readiness Updates
- Kareo Blog: Getting Ready for 5010 – Settings You Should Know
- Kareo Customer Newsletter: Will Kareo Customers Be Ready for 5010? Of Course!
- Getting Paid blog: ICD-10 Training Camp: Ready, Set, Go – to 5010
- Getting Paid blog: Preparing a Blueprint for ICD-10/5010 Success
- Getting Paid blog: ICD-10 Training Camp: How to Survive the ICD-10/5010 Transition
- Recorded Webinar: How to Prepare for ICD-10/5010 to Reduce F41.1 (Anxiety Reaction)
- Recorded Webinar: Preparing for ICD-10-CM: The Nitty-Gritty of Diagnosis Coding
Please note that this update to Kareo software will be provided at no charge, as are all of our updates. If you have additional questions, please feel free to Contact Support or leave a comment on our Facebook page.